French Apple Pie is my Mother’s Day recipe I created out of deep appreciation for a good friend.
Shopping List Ingredients:
- 4-5 Organic Apples (enough that when you slice them you have about three cups)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Gluten-Free flour
- Sugar (I like Trader Joe’s Organic Cain Sugar)
- Coconut Milk (Or Almond Milk or Rice Milk)
- Butter (Kerrygold or Trader Joe’s Organic Butter)
- 3 eggs
- Chopped nuts (Or Almond Meal and/or Cashew Meal)
- 1 Organic Lemon
- a couple of mixing bowls
- 9-inch pie dish
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter up a9-inch pie pan. If your pan is larger, simply increase the apples & add a little more flour and coconut milk.
- If you want more fiber (I recommend) wash your apples and slice them up with skins on – you need three cups or more.
- Grate the skin of the lemon onto a paper towel, fold the towel and dab off some of the moisture and set aside.
- Juice lemon and pour over apples and mix.
- Mix 1/2 c. Sugar, 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg and pour over apples and mix.
- Melt 2 tb. of butter and set aside.
- So now you have a bowl of apples marinating in lemon juice and sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, with melted butter in your pot cooling. Good.
- In a separate bowl we will make the Streusel that will go on top. Mix 1/2 c. Gluten-Free Flour, 1/2 c. chopped nuts or half almond meal & half cashew meal, 1/4 c. sugar, add in grated lemon peel and 3 tbs of firm butter.
- Make sure your hands are washed and kneed this flour nut butter mixture until you have “crumbs”. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix 3 eggs, 1/2 c Coconut Milk with your melted butter and 1/2 c. Gluten-Free Flour. Add in from your apple mixture, pouring off any extra juice and now melted sugar into this wet filling mix.
- Pour your apples into your 9-inch pie dish and arrange flat.
- Pour your wet egg filling over the apples.
- Sprinkle your “crumbs” on top.
- Place in the oven for 40-50 minutes. To check it, a knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Enjoy warm with vanilla coconut ice cream if you like apple pie a la mode!